10 Ways to Build Abundance Mentality
One of my ongoing goals is to practice more of an abundance mindset. Like most goals, I believe that having some concrete steps to reach it will be helpful. So, I did a brainstorm of concrete ways – I like to think of them as games – to build an abundance mindset. Read on:
1. Tip more. Make it a rule to tip 20% at restaurants, and even more when your server is having a bad day. Yes, that’s exactly the opposite of what most people do. If your server is unhappy, slow, or forgetful, he/she is probably going through a rough patch. Cheer her up with a 20%+ tip. You’ll cheer yourself up too (after bad service), thinking about how you’ve changed her day and worked towards your goal of abundance at the same time.
2. Serve yourself (or order) only the food you need. Mindfully think about how much would fill you up, how much you want to eat – and order or serve yourself just that. This is an especially great thing to try at buffets – try putting on your plate only exactly what you expect to eat. When your server takes your plate, see how well you did by how much is left.
3.Take only the number of napkins, condiment packets, etc that you need. At restaurants, take only the napkins you need. Take note of how many packets of ketchup or hot sauce you really use, and only take that many. Yep, I’m used to getting a fistful of Taco Bell or ketchup packets, too – I’ve been making it a game to guess (and take) exactly the number I really want to use.
4. Clean out your closet. Give away all the clothes you haven’t worn in the last year.
5. Donate to charity. Randomly, or when friends ask. Especially when you’re feeling bummed and need a boost.
6. Let other people in front of you while driving. Instead of getting mad when people keep cutting in front of you, just let people in. Think about it as an opportunity to grow your abundance mentality – which it is. Then, you get to feel good instead of agitated.
7. Park at the farthest end of the parking lot. Don’t hunt for a parking spot – just immediately drive to the back and park. Not only do you save hunting time, but you save any frustration that comes from not finding a good enough spot, and the decision fatigue that goes along with choosing a parking spot. This stress grates on us more than we realize. Bonus: you get a little more exercise walking farther.
8. Buy only what you need. Instead of getting three different-colored shirts that are all the same, or five rolls of paper towels because they’re on sale, just get what you need. Sales and cool-looking shirts will be there when you need them, and the abundance mentality that comes from taking only what you need is priceless.
9. Do small random acts of kindness for others. Give your time, or your money – and then be proud of yourself! This is you telling yourself: I have enough, I have enough to give. Acting as if that’s true now will help you more and more believe it!
10. Use a smaller amounts of household products. Including toilet paper – seriously. Okay, this isn’t something I’ve particularly discussed with many people, but I know myself – I have a habit of taking probably twice the toilet paper that I actually need. See if you can cut back on the amount of shampoo, dish soap, and hand soap you use in a single use, too. Bonuses: your products last longer, making it easier on your time, your wallet! And it’s a little greener, too.
What are your creative ideas for how to build an abundance mindset? Please share in the comments below!
*Photo credit: myself. I’ve found that photography is an awesome way to become more mindful! See the rest of my work – and learn how to build your own photoblog – at k8ee.com.
11 Responses to “10 Ways to Build Abundance Mentality”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.